Watermelon number 4 was a little underwhelming. We didn’t plan to pick it for a while yet, but it had other ideas and came off the vine all by itself!
It was a weird shape, like one end was yet to be formed.
The narrow end was a pale pink and very dry. The rest of the melon was okay, but not nearly as tasty as the others. So rather than eat it now we froze it for future use.
Watermelon number 5 was a different story. It was so big we had to put it in the wheelbarrow to get it to the car safely!
You can see in the photo that we found a small melon ( number 6) as well, unsurprisingly it wasn’t ripe.
But the big one weighed in at a whopping 16.5 kilos!
We are still working our way through it. We gave masses away, but there is still at least 5 kilos left.
Jamie couldn’t resist dressing it up before we carved into it!
Watermelon number 7 was found underneath the vines when we pulled them out. It also wasn’t ripe. Still, from 2 vines we got four edible watermelons weighing 41 kilos altogether. We will definitely grow them again.